The June Backlog pt.1

June 1 - My Sister's 21st
I’m testing out stuff, since I’d like to keep recipes and blogging separate, but I like the idea of doing a high-low-glitter and book update every day. I have a whole backlog of high low glitters from May, but rather than open that can of worms, I’ll just start from June and go from here. I tried this out on Tumblr and I kinda like it, but have to figure out a better theme so that it is more readable. There are also weird formatting things going on because I'm copy-pasting from what I already finished on Tumblr. Sorry about that. Once I'm caught up, it will be better.
Books: Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow just came in at the library, so I’m very excited to be starting that. Before I start, though, I am partway through The Tombs of Atuan by Ursula LeGuin, so I’ll take an hour or so and power through it. I left Ged locked up in the tomb with Ahra sneaking down to hear stories and give him scraps of food, so I’m curious to see whether she will lead him to the other half of the broken ring of Erreth-Akbe.
High: It is my sister’s 21st birthday. She’s at Future Problem Solving, with my mother and my boss, which is just a strange thing to think about since I live and work halfway across the world. Just thinking about FPS makes me incredibly happy, and I’m even happier that my boss now gets to experience the amazing craziness that is the FPS community at the International Conference in Michigan. 
Low: It’s a beautiful day and I’m stuck inside with a cold. Just looking at the mass of things I need to organize, both in work and online, is a little terrifying and makes me want to just rewatch all of X-Men instead.
June 2 - Peace Corps Pony
Books: I finished The Tombs of Atuan by Ursula Le Guin, and lo and behold, Ged escapes and everything kinda turns out ok for both of the main characters, though not so much for the temple. I have Washington queued up and ready to listen, so it will be my bedtime audiobook. I don’t usually go for audiobooks, but I prefer them for history and biographies because I don’t get distracted or sleepy quite so easily. I think it’s my brain’s impulse reaction to what would, for me, have been required reading all through high school and college. I like them now, but my unconscious says “Nope, that’s a school book. You’re tired and bored and can’t absorb any information.”

High: Definitely figuring out how to make the new Peace Corps logo into a pony. It makes me laugh every time I look at it.
Low: I’m having trouble concentrating and haven’t been swimming in ages. Maybe those go hand in hand?
Glitter: We got the future problem solving grant (which is my favorite geeky competition ever) to try to start FPS here in Georgia (the country, not the state), which is pretty legit.
June 3 - Goodbyes
Books: In between MBMBaM episodes, I’m one chapter in to Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow. 
High: Spending an hour meeting with my boss to talk about the next three months, slowing down (or at least not starting anything new), and taking a break before any more big life decisions.
Low: Muhammed Ali died today at age 74. 
Glitter: It was Tina’s last day before flying back to the US, so we had a little goodbye meet-up, then I went with some PCVs for ice cream, chatting about grad school while petting the Prospero’s bookstore kitty, some games at their hostel, and a little lesson in self defense.

June 4 - Ambassador's BBQ

High: The ambassador and his wife invited the G14s and PCRVs to their house for a BBQ as all the G14s start to pack up and say goodbye.It was very kind of them, their schnauzer Lucy is adorable, we named their turtle Monty, and Steph gave us all these awesome Peace Corps challenge coins. So legit.  Everyone is off on new adventures or on to jobs, and I’m just here trying to bounce around Peace Corps as long as possible. 

Low: Rachel and I failed at the transportation system and after the metro and bus, ended up having to take a taxi anyway to get to the ambassador’s house, which irks me both for the expense and that after 8 months, I shouldn’t get taken in by where google maps thinks I’m going. This is Tbilisi - no street actually goes where it says it goes.

Glitter: I’m caught up with the Mindy Project, and after a string of not-great episodes this season that had me worried, the three most recent ones are back to the Mindy I know and love.
Books: I’m listening to Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow. So far Washington’s mother refused to let him join the Navy at age 14, and his half-brother has just died, which made him want to follow in his footsteps and join the Army, which he did by age 20 after spending a few years as a surveyor. 

June 5 - Home in the Hail

Books: I’m on chapter 7 of Washington: A Life, at which point Washington has fought in the French and Indian War, rented (or maybe was entrusted is a better word?) Mt. Vernon from his sister in law after quitting the army because of disputes over treatment of colonial soldiers, and just gotten married to Martha, who was the perfect hostess, in contrast to Washington’s often too-formal demeanor.
High: I made cookies and more cookies in anticipation of this introductory session I have to give on Monday about baking and social enterprise, which I am wildly unprepared for.
Glitter: It’s hailing!

June 6 - Baking Project

So on the off-chance that we might get support, my organization submitted a proposal a month or so ago to a local organization for donations of equipment to start this idea we had for making and selling easy American desserts to employ PWD and help fund activities for PWD. They liked the proposal and agreed to give us three months to get it off the ground. Today was our first meeting, and I spent two hours beforehand with Sopio creating a short PowerPoint in Georgian to cover the main points (I was just going to talk, but especially with the language barrier, having a bit of text turned out to be a really good idea) and making sure we were on the same page. We spent an hour with the six from the Marneuli group who showed and stayed, two of whom are PWD, explaining the basics of social entrepreneurship, and got them to start thinking about the possibilities for their own little business making and selling cookies, brownies, and other desserts. I have absolutely no idea if this will be a success, but their interest in the idea, engagement in the activity, and delight at the cookies I brought in as samples is a glimmer of promise that this could really be a real thing.
High: Giving out the three cookie samples to the group and seeing them both enjoy the treats and immediately come up with ideas of where they could sell, who would be good clients, and what would be the best method of packaging and distribution, gives me high hopes for the motivation and success of this project. Also, Sopio is a saint, working with me in the two hours before we left to make a short powerpoint in Georgian to accompany the presentation and dealing with all my disorganization and procrastination.
Glitter: got featured on the Peace Corps Response page for my Kazbegi photo :)
Books: I’ll be making my way through Washington for a while. Right now he’s improving his home, his tobacco plantation, and his seemingly endless wardrobe updates. Of all the records that could be kept, it makes me laugh that there are endless lists of all the things Washington sent for from abroad, be it silver with ivory handles or fancy buttons and tailored pants. I never really realized that he never had children of his own, though the book says his house was always filled with Martha’s two children and many others they took in and cared for.

June 7 - Maroon 5

I went to the first Maroon 5 concert in Georgia in Batumi with two friends - Salome and Marika - and a double fistful of PCVs. It rained the entire six-hour bus ride to Batumi, where I sat in the front and battled my stomach for the first three hours. I too-often get bad stomachaches in anticipation of long bus rides or flights, and I wonder if it’s stress or nerves or just the fact that I ate far too early that day. On the upside, the driver was one of the best I’ve ridden with - smooth stops and excellent evasive maneuvers. I wasn’t too sure about going with Tiko’s friends because I didn’t want it to be awkward or for them to constantly have to switch between English and Georgian, but they turned out to be great people, engaging conversationalists, down for card games, and I stuck with them all night. Going into the concert around 6:00, we stopped for a bit to watch the NY Brass Band, a group that included tuba, tenor sax, trombone, bass trombone, and two trumpets all rocking out and doing it well. The trombone was especially good, and I could have watched that performance for an hour rather than standing around inside the venue. It was gray and threatening to rain, but still ok even through the jazz saxophone guy who played the first act. He was definitely good, but I could tell it wasn’t people’s jam, which was later confirmed by the PCVs who scoffed at his performance. He is technically a really good sax player and I liked some of the songs, but it’s not the best music for the venue or the crowd. As Maroon 5 made it on to the stage around 9:30, the rain had started up again and it turned into an absolute downpour within three songs. I’ll admit there was a little while in the middle with the rain pouring down, my pants soaked, water seeping through my jacket and leaving giant droplets on my glasses, umbrellas obscuring the stage, feet, legs and back uncomfortable from standing in a too-small space in boots, and an obnoxious couple being pushy at my side, that I seriously considered leaving. But I would have regretted leaving for a bit of discomfort, and of course Adam saved the best for last. My favorite bit was just him and the guitarist on Sunday Morning as the rain finally let up for a few short minutes and all the umbrellas disappeared. It wasn’t a big theatrical concert, just a good flow from song to song to song and Adam in jeans and a hoodie. I surprised myself with the number of songs I remembered - nothing like Darren Criss, or like what I’ll know for PTX, but my teenage self did me a solid and I sang along for almost the whole concert. Getting back to the apartment, I was in no mood to be getting wet again, even for food, so I got some dry clothes and stayed behind with Marika and Salome, just chatting until about 2 am. Overall, a good day with good people.
High: Would it be terrible to say that the best part of the night was watching the NY Brass Band just living for their music and the trombone solos? #bandgeek
Low: Getting rained on and shoved in equal measures. Really, being two feet further forward is NOT going to change your concert experience, and your need to be closer is definitely affecting mine.
Glitter: I know I don’t really ever need to go back to Batumi again, so that’s a plus.
June 8 - Practicing Curtido
High: I made it home without mishap from Batumi with another smooth ride listening to Washington the entire way, then found that we had all the ingredients (sans jalapeños, but such is life) to make curtido for the pupusas I promised Rezi we would make tomorrow. I used a mix of Roberto’s directions and two recipes I found online, and I’m just hoping it’s ok. 
Low: I keep getting people who want me to stay here, and I don’t think I want to stay. It’s not that I don’t like the job and the people, but I don’t want to live in a city and without a dog. And I have PLANS for September through December. TRAVEL plans! 
Glitter: #Ham4Ali was excellent
Books: I’m on chapter 19 of Washington as they faced a severe shortage of gunpowder and weapons that Washington was trying desperately to keep secret from the British, but also kept it so secret that even his allies didn’t realize their sorry state. At least Knox captured weapons from fort Ticonderoga and managed to drag them all the way back to Boston. Once the river froze, Washington hatched a plan to drag all the cannons and weapons up to high ground under the cover of darkness on March 4 to draw the British out from Boston in the morning as they saw the fortress spring up in Dorchester heights.
June 9 - Making Pupusas
Rezi got super excited about the idea of making pupusas, to the point where he actually got corn flour (which is pretty easy to find, since it’s what they use to make mtchadi) and made beans so that we could make pupusas in the Peace Corps office today, which we did, and shared them with everyone around the office. I made some passable curtido, the pupusas were decent, and we had fun making them and sharing them, which is the important thing. They weren’t quite up to the La Granjita standard, but by the end we both had some good round ones oozing cheese. So this is second goal third goal? Sharing the culture of one Peace Corps country with another Peace Corps country, and loving it.
High: Rezi singing “A mi me gustan las pupusas” for the entirety of our time making pupusas in the office.Rezi got super excited about the idea of making pupusas, to the point where he actually got corn flour (which is pretty easy to find, since it’s what they use to make mtchadi) and made beans so that we could make pupusas in the Peace Corps office today, which we did, and shared them with everyone around the office. I made some passable curtido, the pupusas were decent, and we had fun making them and sharing them, which is the important thing. They weren’t quite up to the La Granjita standard, but by the end we both had some good round ones oozing cheese. So this is second goal third goal? Sharing the culture of one Peace Corps country with another Peace Corps country, and loving it.
Low: The power was out all day, so I ended up only coming into the office for about an hour before peacing out again to work at the Peace Corps office.
Glitter: There’s this cool thing that the Gates Foundation is doing in partnership with Heifer International where if you take five minutes to learn about raising chickens to help families, especially women, to escape poverty, they will donate chickens to families in poverty. It’s here, if you want to do it.
Extra: Hannah and I went to this pretty chill cocktail bar near dry bridge called Bramble since the owners invited her to check it out. The place has a great vibe, the food looks delicious, the owners are cool, and the drinks were tasty. It’s here.
June 10 - Letters to Self


It’s Friday! I got some work done in the office, had a beer outside after work as the rain cleared up and it got lovely and sunny, and had a night in with Rachel and Maya, then catching up on the first episode of SYTYCD, which this season is all adorable little 8-13 year old dancers.
Glitter: I opened up my COS letter to myself that I wrote at COS Conference in El Sal, in which I mostly wrote about my appreciation for my host family, our PCMOs getting me through two rounds of dengue and one of chikungunya, my crazy cohort, and my two years in El Salvador. My only advice to myself was to appreciate the moments, and appreciate the great people who surround me. Pretty solid advice, I think. Good job old self.

Comments

Popular Posts