Why Is the Peace Exhibit Full of War?

June 21

In the morning we spent a few hours at the San Telmo museum in their permanent exhibit on basque history, the path to modernity, the cathedral wing, and the temporary exhibit on peace. The peace exhibit had a whole lot of conflict and death for being focused on peace. I got caught up in the exhibits to the point where Molli had to come looking for me, though honestly I only really remember a couple of things - the Roma were probably originally from around India and were also persecuted during WWII even though it’s not recognized, and the white flag is supposed to be reminiscent of a dove like the one God sent to Noah at the end of the flood. We did a whirlwind tour around the underground market and picked up some cheese and lunch stuff, made a delicious vegetable-y sandwich lunch, then hopped on the bus for eight hours back to Madrid.
High: The handmade birthday present from Anna. I don’t think I can properly express how much this relationship means to me. She is someone I could come to with any thought and get a thoughtful response, or any problem and get an empathetic solution. She was there at one of the most pivotal times in my life as I was creating my new identity as a Spanish speaker, a traveler, a girlfriend, and so many other things. She’s always honest and just as confused and falsely sure about life as I am, which means we make up advice like we make up history, and just say it with confidence like it’s the real deal.
Low: I’m getting blisters. These shoes are not good.
Glitter: I got another reja for breakfast at Armendia. I don’t even care that it’s a chain - I could happily eat those every day. I am kicking myself for not taking a picture, but just imagine a puff pastry like a croissant with an open crisscross (hence the reja name) top, filled with dried fruit and dipped on either side in chocolate.   

Comments

Popular Posts