Blossom's Brownies

It's Orthodox Easter, so I'm going up to the mountains for a few days with a group of other PCVs for the long weekend. I'm bringing food to bribe them into friendship. I made peanut butter for the first time (jury's still out on whether I like it), bread (I'll add that recipe soon), and these brownies. Anyone want to be friends?

Every time I want to make these brownies I have to search through my old emails, which is ridiculous because I started this blog in large part because I wanted an easily searchable repository of recipes. This is a mix of my grandma's recipe with my mom's additions, and it's easily my favorite brownie recipe ever. The original recipe calls for 2 cups of sugar, but I usually put about 1 1/2 -2/3 cups in instead. I like the coffee flavor to come out stronger, and it's plenty sweet enough without so much sugar.

Blossom's Brownies

2 sticks (230 g) butter
1 2/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder + 3 T butter or 4 ounces melted baking chocolate
4 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup very strong coffee (3 T instant coffee, then fill the rest with hot water)
1 scant cup flour
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 F, and butter and flour a 9x13 (if you want thick brownies) or 10x14 (if you want thinner brownies) pan.
Cream butter and sugar, then mix in cocoa powder. Add eggs one at a time, then mix in vanilla, salt and coffee until smooth. Add flour. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
Pour the brownie batter into your prepared pan, and bake for 20-25 minutes until the center doesn't jiggle. I like my brownies to be more fudgy and less cakey, so I tend to check at about 18-20 minutes and as long as it doesn't look shiny and still liquid in the center, I pull them out.

Comments

Popular Posts