Entertainment By the Numbers

In case you didn't hear, I got a job with Peace Corps Response working with a youth development NGO for a year. It starts the week I finish Peace Corps here in El Salvador, so I am going to the Republic of Georgia in September after about two days in the US dedicated entirely to good food and buying winter clothes. I am incredibly excited about it, and am trying to learn a little Georgian language and history before I head out. I am also desperately trying to concentrate on all of the things I need to do to finish my service here (with fairly limited success) and be appropriately melancholy with my community so they think I am terribly sad to leave, rather than just really ready to escape the mosquitoes and heat. Maybe it hasn't hit me yet, but probably I'm just not that sentimental - our world is incredibly interconnected, and I'll still keep in touch with those I care about on facebook or email. I know it's not the same as seeing the same people every day, but that's what I'm excited about. I've gotten comfortable with these people, both PCVs and Salvadorans, and comfortable in this place, and I need to make myself uncomfortable again. What better way to do that than transplant myself halfway across the world? 

In other news, I've read 100 new books! This is largely because I got another mosquito-borne illness and spent a week in the hospital alternating between watching movies on TV like The Holiday and reading for hours on end. Last time I posted about books, I had read 100 books total. At this point, one week before I make it to exactly two years since I started Peace Corps, I have read a total of 141 books. You can find short descriptions of my first 100 books here. Below is the complete list of 100 (new books), as well as descriptions of the ones I read after publishing my first list. As before, those with a * I particularly liked, the ones after the -- break are re-reads, and they are in order of my most to least favorite in each category. I enjoyed pretty much all of the books, though it often depends on your own reading habits as to whether I would recommend any particular one to you. I read almost anything I can get my hands on, but I strongly favor fantasy and YA books over most everything else, hence why there are so many more in those categories. 

 I also kept track of TV shows and new movies that I watched in chronological order (I didn't list any of the ones I re-watched, although I am sure there are quite a few). The ones in bold are ones I especially enjoyed.


I realize I should be working, especially since I have about six weeks left of service, but I don't regret a single hour I spent reading. My dog keeps me company, my peanut butter and chocolate chip stashes get seriously depleted, and my host family still thinks I'm weird. I'm just keeping my mind fresh and my stress levels low. Speaking of, while I was in the hospital I found out that my heartbeat is usually slow. This caused consternation every time a new nurse was sent to check my vitals until one of the older ones reassured her that 46 was my normal (this happened five times in six days, because only one of the nurses was the same throughout). One of them actually said by way of reassurance "así es - no le preocupa de nada" which translates to "she's just that way - nothing bothers her." Good to know the nurses think I'm chill even when I'm running a 104º fever. 


Started July 27, 2013
New Book Tally: 100
  1. Paper Towns by John Green
  2. Every Day by David Levithan
  3. Invisibility by David Levithan and Andrea Cremer
  4. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
  5. *Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
  6. Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
  7. An Abundance of Katherines by John Green
  8. *Looking for Alaska by John Green
  9. The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black 
  10. Doll Bones by Holly Black
  11. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
  12. Poison Eaters and Other Stories by Holly Black 
  13. Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
  14. Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
  15. I, Robot  by Isaac Asimov
  16. 13 Little Blue Envelopes  by Maureen Johnson
  17. 1776 by David McCullough
  18. Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson
  19. Unsoul’d by Barry Lyga
  20. *The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
  21. *The Wise Man’s Fear by Patrick Rothfuss
  22. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
  23. Bridget Jones’ Diary by Helen Fielding
  24. The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding
  25. Mad About The Boy by Helen Fielding
  26. Lord of Opium by Nancy Farmer
  27. Bruiser by Neal Shusterman
  28. The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
  29. The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer
  30. The Land of the Silver Apples by Nancy Farmer
  31. The Islands of the Blessed by Nancy Farmer
  32. Game by Barry Lyga
  33. I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga
  34. Allegiant by Veronica Roth
  35. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
  36. Let’s Explore Diabetes With Owls by David Sedaris
  37. Lost Cat: A True Story of Love, Desperation and GPS Technology by Caroline Paul
  38. Fly on the Wall by E. Lockhart
  39. Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops by Jen Campbell
  40. Quiet by Susan Cain
  41. Bossypants by Tina Fey
  42. The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp
  43. Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn
  44. UnWholly by Neal Shusterman 
  45. Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
  46. UnSouled by Neal Shusterman
  47. Seriously...I’m Kidding by Ellen DeGeneres
  48. The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkein
  49. The Shadow Club by Neal Shusterman
  50. The Shadow Club Rising by Neal Shusterman
  51. The Waking Dark by Robin Wasserman
  52. *The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkein
  53. City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare
  54. City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare
  55. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
  56. If I Stay by Gayle Foreman
  57. Just One Day by Gayle Foreman
  58. *Let It Snow by Maureen Johnson, John Green and Lauren Myracle
  59. Landline by Rainbow Rowell
  60. Phule’s Company by Robert Asprin
  61. Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare
  62. *Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor
  63. Blood of My Blood by Barry Lyga
  64. *The Emperor of All Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee
  65. The Iron Trial by Cassandra Clare & Holly Black
  66. Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
  67. Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
  68. Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi
  69. A Beautiful Mind by Silvia Nasar
  70. Shadows by Robin McKinley
  71. Going Postal by Terry Pratchett
  72. *Lysistrata by Aristophanes
  73. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
  74. Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis
  75. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis
  76. The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis
  77. The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis
  78. The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis
  79. The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
  80. The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama
  81. The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda
  82. *Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey
  83. Caliban’s War by James S.A. Corey
  84. The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black
  85. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling
  86. Openly Straight by Bill Konigsberg
  87. We Were Here by Matt de la Peña
  88. Dark Wind by Tony Hillerman
  89. American Gods by Neil Gaiman
  90. Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg
  91. Guards! Guards! By Terry Pratchett
  92. The Princess Bride by William Goldman
  93. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
  94. Solo en la Oscuridad by Ramón Diaz Eterovic
  95. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
  96. The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson
  97. Hologram for a King by Dave Eggers
  98. *Fool’s Errand by Robin Hobb
  99. Wild by Cheryl Strayed
  100. Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett
YA Fiction:
We Were Here by Matt de la Peña
    I love the voice, and the story was compelling because I wanted things to work out for the main character. It's told as a journal about three teenagers who break out of a group home and try to make their way to Mexico, coming to terms with their demons in the process.

The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson   

   What I liked best were the painful memories of both Hayley and her dad, which gave a glimpse into how the past was creating a hell of the present. Her dad is an Iraq and Afghanistan vet, barely holding it together and running from the past. She’s a freak in a world of zombies, but for the most part just a normal teenager who likes history, hangs out with Gracie, likes Finn and is desperately trying not to remember the past or let the present explode on her. I always love seeing swimmers in books, so it’s awesome that Finn’s a swimmer and lifeguard. The two best parts of the book were standing on the edge of the quarry, a breath away the sheer drop, flying and falling. It took an afternoon to read, and like the others I’ve read by her, captures emotions and turmoil with honesty.

The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black
   A little younger than her other books, so I liked it less. When the horned boy in the glass box in the middle of the woods mysteriously breaks free, Ben and his sister Hazel realize that their childhood games as a bard and a knight may not be so childish after all. Still interesting and dark, but I prefer Tithe.

Openly Straight by Bill Konigsberg
   Not really my cup of tea. The main character goes to boarding school and after spending his entire high school life openly gay, he decides to hide his sexual preference to try to create a new persona. He makes friends, but realizes that by hiding a part of himself he is less than himself and is creating situations with his new friends that are less than honest.

YA Dystopian or Supernatural Fiction:
The Hunt by Andrew Fukada
   Humans have become scarce in a world of vampires, and Gene must keep his cover in the annual "human hunt" that has become a bloody spectacle and could reveal him as the human he is. This book was okay, but in terms of YA dystopias there are tons of much better authors and books. This has been my least favorite in this category so far.
--
Divergent by Veronica Roth
   The first book in the Divergent series. In a society divided into five factions, Tris chooses to change factions but must keep her divergence secret as her world starts to crumble and factions turn on each other.
Insurgent by Veronica Roth
   the second book in the Divergent series
Allegiant by Veronica Roth
    the third book in the Divergent series

Children's/Middle Grade Fantasy:
The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
   Lucy, Edmund, Susan and Peter find themselves in Narnia after falling through the back of a wardrobe. They face the White Queen and meet Aslan and win a mighty battle to return summer to Narnia.

Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis
   Hundreds of years after the kings and queens of Narnia have died, the four Pevensies find themselves called back to Narnia to come to the aid of Prince Caspian, who is trying to free the Narnians from oppression of the Telmarines.

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis
   Lucy, Edmund and their cousin Eustace join King Caspian and the ship the Dawn Treader on a quest to find the seven lost lords of Narnia.

The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis
   Eustace and Jill Pole are sent to Narnia to find King Caspian's lost son, Prince Rilian. They are guided by Puddleglum and find Rilian trapped in an enchantment.

The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis
   Two children and two talking horses escape from Calormen to Narnia and discover plans for an Archenland raid in the process. This is set during the reign of the Kings and Queens of Narnia.

The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis
   Thousands of years after The Silver Chair, Narnia finds itself in conflict as the ape Shift creates a false Aslan to trick the Narnians, and claims that Aslan and the Calormen god Tash are one and the same. Those who still believe in Narnia are sent a vision, and Eustace and Jill come to help uncover the deception and fight Tash. The others appear and the last battle ends in the destruction of Narnia and the final judgment.

The Princess Bride by William Goldman
   The delightful story of Wesley and Princess Buttercup, and how love triumphs even over death
--
The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis
   The first foray into the land of Narnia, when two children find magic rings in their attic.

Tris' Book by Tamora Pierce
   Book two in the Circle of Magic series, following Tris and her weather magic as pirates attack Port Caynn.

Fantasy:
*Fool's Errand by Robin Hobb
   I absolutely loved the world and the characters created in this novel. I didn't realize it's actually a second trilogy (the first starts with Assassin's Apprentice) and although it's not necessary to read the other trilogy first, I suspect it would help. It has everything I love in fantasy - a well-developed world, intriguing history that is slowly revealed throughout, lots of animals, magic, adventure, mind-talking, the damaged hero, loyalty, love and friendship. It’s the friendship that is the most beautiful part of that book, both between Fitz and Nighteyes, and between Fitz and the Fool. The Fool is a fantastically intriguing character, and I really want to know more of their history, and even more so what happens when they put the feathers in the crown. 

Going Postal by Terry Pratchett
   I absolutely loved this book, which hilariously recounts how Moist von Lipwig revitalized the moribund Ankh-Morpork postal service and takes on the gigantic Grand Trunk clacks communication monopoly to win the hearts (and letters) of the citizens of Ankh-morpork.

Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett
   A delight to read and wildly imaginative and funny, as is everything in Ankh-morpork. This follows the rise of the Night Watch under Commander Vimes and his odd crew as they confront dragons and dragon ladies and the impending destruction of the Patrician's rule.


Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett
   Three witches in the kingdom of Lancre work together to restore the rightful king to the throne after the evil duke and his wife murdered the old king. Pratchett hasn't ever disappointed me, and this one is as funny as the others in Discworld.

American Gods by Neil Gaiman
   I expected to love this, but in the end I liked Neverwhere a lot more. The premise is that immigrants brought their Gods with them when they came to America, but the US isn't fertile ground for believing in Gods. They are hidden amongst us, but are looking for a way to rise to power once again and they want to use Shadow to make it happen.

Fiction:
*The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho
   A highly quotable very short book about a boy living his Personal Legend. It's about living life fully, appreciating every moment and not giving into internal or external fears. I really really liked it, and I liked that he conveyed his message without giving a lecture.

*"Lysistrata" by Aristophanes
   A hilarious short play about the women who made it their mission to end the Peloponnesian War. Easy to read and wonderfully funny.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
   One of those books you should have in your repertoire. Through the lives of two women, two men and a dog during the Prague Spring, it's one that will make you wonder whether we bear the weight of the world or whether the real challenge is the unbearable lightness of being.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
   I was leery about reading this for the longest time, but ended up loving it. The characters made me laugh and the social commentary on being a woman and a woman's role in society was also hilarious and pointed. I loved Mr. Bennet's despair at his empty-headed daughters, and I actually liked Elizabeth as a character. 

Hologram for a King by Dave Eggers
  "A washed-up, desperate American salesman travels to Saudi Arabia to secure the IT contract for a massive new complex being built in the middle of the desert."  I feel like this was supposed to have some deeper meaning that I just didn't get. I didn't enjoy it at all - I much preferred What is the What 

Science Fiction:
*Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey
   A space opera that feels like Firefly in book form. The dialogue is a little crude, but I loved the twists and the wonderful world-building, the bit of detective novel feel, and the little spark of terror at alien viruses that can destroy entire planets. 

Caliban's War by James S.A. Corey
   Book two in the Leviathan Wakes series

Shadows by Robin McKinley
   I'm not actually sure if this is fantasy or Sci-fi. I enjoyed it, though it was a little young for me. "Maggie knows something’s off about Val, her mom’s new husband...But—more importantly—what are the huge, horrible, jagged, jumpy shadows following him around? Magic is illegal in Newworld, which is all about science. The magic-carrying gene was disabled two generations ago, back when Maggie’s great-grandmother was a notable magician. But that was a long time ago. Then Maggie meets Casimir, the most beautiful boy she has ever seen. He’s from Oldworld too—and he’s heard of Maggie’s stepfather, and has a guess about Val’s shadows. Maggie doesn’t want to know . . . until earth-shattering events force her to depend on Val and his shadows. And perhaps on her own heritage. In this dangerously unstable world, neither science nor magic has the necessary answers, but a truce between them is impossible. And although the two are supposed to be incompatible, Maggie’s discovering the world will need both to survive. "


Non-Fiction:
Lean In: Women, Work and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg
   I really enjoyed this short book by the facebook COO about women in the workplace using anecdotes, social experiments, discussions and personal stories. It encourages women to "lean in" to their work and challenge themselves regardless of societal norms and stumbling blocks.  

The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama
   Basically a book about Obama's politics as a senator and his hopes for the future of the country

Mystery/Thriller:
Dark Wind by Tony Hillerman
   Jim Chee is assigned four cases to solve by Captain Largo, his new boss at the Tuba City, Arizona office of the Navajo Tribal Police. One is to ascertain who stole jewelry from the Burnt Water trading post, and to find the paroled man suspected of the thievery, Joseph Musket. The third is to find who is vandalizing a windmill in the Joint-Use lands recently allotted to the Hopi. Fourth is to learn the identity of the Navajo man found dead on the path to Kisigi Spring.

Solo en la Oscuridad by Ramón Diaz Eterovic
   A detective novel in Spanish set in Chile. Detective Heredia looks for the cause behind the mysterious death of an airline stewardess who he met the night before her death. 

--
Decider by Dick Francis
   An architect gets caught up in a family feud over whether to sell, remodel or demolish a racecourse when his mother's father-in-law dies. He tries to puzzle out the family dynamics while on holiday with his sons, and uncovers explosive secrets. If you like mystery novels, pretty much any of the 40+ books by Dick Francis are fantastic. I also love Dorothy Gilman's Mrs. Pollifax mysteries.

Memoirs, Biographies, etc:
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling
   A collection of essays written by the amazing and hilarious Mindy Kaling about her life, her views, and her time working on The Office. She is an incredible woman, and as funny and smart in print as she is on screen.

Wild by Cheryl Strayed
   A memoir of Cheryl's hike on the Pacific Crest Trail that helped her come to terms with her life and her mother's death.

A Beautiful Mind by Silvia Nassar
   An account of the life of mathematician John Nash.

Short Stories:
"Dreams of Two Cities" by Kate Wolf

Currently Reading: (Pretty soon all of this will be put on hold for my yearly re-read of Harry Potter, but I'm getting through a chapter or two of each of these every week or so)
Hard Choices by Hillary Clinton
Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
Sabriel by Garth Nix
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch (because I didn't realize it wasn't the first in the series)
Magician by Raymond E. Feist
Cibola Burn by James S.A. Corey
Shadowhunters and Downworlders by Cassandra Clare
Stiff by Mary Roach
White Out by Michael Clune

TV Shows:
  • Firefly
  • The Mindy Project (Seasons 1-3)
  • Sherlock (Seasons 1-3)
  • Glee (Seasons 1-6)
  • Modern Family (Seasons 1-5)
  • Pushing Daisies (Seasons 1 & 2)
  • White Collar (Seasons 1-6)
  • The Office (Seasons 1-3)
  • Parks & Recreation (Seasons 1-3)
  • 30 Rock (Seasons 1-3)
  • Happy Endings (Season 1 & 2)
  • The Wire (Seasons 1 & 2)
  • Transparent
  • Community (Episodes 1-12)
Movies:
  1. Kinky Boots (musical/drama/comedy about the owner of a shoe factory who tries to save it by switching to making boots for drag queens)
  2. Romero (about the life of Monseñor Romero)
  3. White House Down (Channing Tatum action flick about saving the President)
  4. A Walk To Remember (Nicolas Sparks movie about a bad boy turned good by a relationship with a dying girl)
  5. Hunger Games: Catching Fire (YA dystopian fiction)
  6. Rio (animated movie about a pet bird who finds himself lost in Brazil)
  7. Rango (animated western)
  8. Death at a Funeral (comedy)
  9. When Harry Met Sally (romcom)
  10. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (fantasy - terrible)
  11. Angels in America (play - super strange, but awesome)
  12. Don Jon (comedy)
  13. Blade Runner (scifi)
  14. Gravity (scifi)
  15. Office Space (comedy)
  16. Ender's Game (scifi - pretty faithful to the book, but definitely read the book first)
  17. The Book Thief (fantasy - the book is much better)
  18. Dallas Buyer's Club (drama)
  19. Frozen (animated)
  20. The Burbs (Tom Hanks comedy about life in the suburbs)
  21. Bridget Jones 2 (romcom)
  22. Spanglish (coming of age/cultural exchange)
  23. Waiting for Superman (documentary about public schools in the US)
  24. 5 Broken Cameras (documentary about life in Palestine)
  25. Animal House (comedy)
  26. Celeste and Jesse Forever (romcom)
  27. The Fault in Our Stars (YA fiction/romance - great movie, but read the book first)
  28. The Wind Rises (animated about WWII Japanese plane designers)
  29. Divergent (dystopian fiction - read the books first)
  30. Her (scifi)
  31. Bad Words (comedy)
  32. Serenity (drama - watch the Firefly TV series first)
  33. Jodorosky's Dune (really interesting documentary about Jodorosky's vision for the movie Dune that was never made)
  34. Silver Linings Playbook (drama)
  35. Bridget Jones's Diary (romcom - read the book first)
  36. Knocked Up (romcom)
  37. Powder (scifi)
  38. The Bling Ring (drama? about kids with too much money who steal from stars)
  39. Neighbors (comedy - Seth Rogan & Zac Efron)
  40. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (fiction about Sept 11)
  41. Toys (Robin Williams comedy about a toymaker)
  42. The Sandlot (fiction about kids baseball)
  43. The Great Gatsby (fiction - read the book first)
  44. Spider Man 2 (Jamie Foxx is the bad guy)
  45. Hedwig and the Angry Inch (musical tells the story of a rockstar who escaped from East Germany via a botched operation)
  46. The Giver (dystopia - read the book first)
  47. The Thief Lord (YA fiction/fantasy about a gang of kids in Venice - the book is fantastic, the movie less so)
  48. The Wolverine (X-Men movie - my least favorite)
  49. Maleficent (Disney movie about Sleeping Beauty's Maleficent)
  50. Groundhog Day (comedy where Bill Murray is inescapably stuck repeating Groudhog Day)
  51. Dead Poets Society (drama about a group of boarding school boys inspired by their English teacher)
  52. Patch Adams (Robin Williams - life of the famous doctor)
  53. Sleepless in Seattle (romcom)
  54. The Muppets Movie (comedy)
  55. Role Models (comedy)
  56. Guardians of the Galaxy (scifi/superhero)
  57. Hunger Games: Mockingjay part 1 (YA dystopian fiction)
  58. Saving Mr. Banks (about the life of P.L. Travers)
  59. Six by Sondheim (documentary about Stephen Sondheim)
  60. Que pena tu vida (Spanish - Chilean comedy about a 30-something guy whose life is falling apart)
  61. X-Men Days of Future Past (scifi/superhero)
  62. A Beautiful Mind (the life of mathematician John Nash - also a book)
  63. Inside Job (Documentary about the 2008 crash)
  64. Looper (scifi)
  65. How To Train Your Dragon 2 (animated)
  66. Captain America Winter Soldier (superhero)
  67. The Secret World of Arietty (animated version of The Borrowers)
  68. Boyhood (Academy Award winner - follows the life of a boy from childhood to adulthood)
  69. No (spanish) (About the plebiscite vote to end the dictatorship in Chile)
  70. 12 Years a Slave (Academy Award winner about a freeman captured and sent into slavery)
  71. 22 Jump Street (comedy)
  72. Blue Jasmine (drama)
  73. The One I Love (weird super interesting dramedy about couples trying to get their marriage back on track)
  74. Gladiator (drama)
  75. Grand Budapest Hotel (comedy)
  76. American Hustle (drama)
  77. Big Eyes (drama about the artist Keane, whose husband took credit for all of her work)
  78. The Normal Heart (Amazing movie about the start of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in NY)
  79. The Book of Life (animated about the Day of the Dead)
  80. The Hobbit Battle of the Five Armies (fantasy - still terrible)
  81. Big Hero 6 (animated)
  82. District 9 (scifi about an alien refugee camp)
  83. Into the Woods (musical about what happens after "happily ever after")
  84. The Theory of Everything (drama about the life of Stephen Hawking)
  85. Whiplash (drama about a drummer in a Jazz band with a crazy director)
  86. Gone Girl (thriller - based on the book about a crazy wife who might have been murdered and leaves clues for her husband)
  87. St. Vincent (heartwarming dramedy about an angry old man who babysits his neighbor's son)
  88. The Devil Came on Horseback (documentary about the atrocities in Sudan)
  89. Killing Us Softly 4 (documentary about women in media)
  90. The Cutting Edge (documentary about editors)
  91. Birdman (drama)
  92. Les Miserables (musical - watching it live is waaaay better)
  93. Cake (drama)
  94. Lucky (weird comedy a lot like Gone Girl with the insane couple)
  95. Laggies (comedy)
  96. Insurgent (YA dystopian fiction after Divergent)
  97. Pretty Woman (romcom)
  98. Superbad (comedy)
  99. Vicky Cristina Barcelona (romcom about two friends in Barcelona and their strange love lives)
  100. 28 Hotel Rooms (drama about a couple having an affair)
  101. This is the End (comedy)
  102. A League of their Own (women's baseball)
  103. Annie (2014) (musical)
  104. The Giant Mechanical Man (romance, but a little melancholy)
  105. Chasing Mavericks (drama about Jay Moriarty, a young surfer trying to chase the biggest waves)
  106. The Way Way Back (Steve Carrell comedy)
  107. Inside Out (lovely animated film inside the mind of Riley as she moves from Minnesota to San Francisco and starts at a new school)
  108. What If (romcom)
  109. Jurassic World (action)
  110. The Change-Up (comedy - basically a really crude boys' version of Freaky Friday)

Comments

Popular Posts