Pesto Pasta and Peach Cherry Galette

This weekend I have been house-sitting for some friends with two golden retrievers. I miss having a dog. The job gave me lots of time to read with one hand and throw toys for the dogs with the other. I got through two books and endless hours of quality dog time, which I would happily repeat every weekend of the summer.
The perfect summer meal, by the way, almost always includes basil.  Pesto pasta comes a close second to bruschetta, which I make most days. Mom made some awesome pesto though, and it was just calling out to be eaten.  Some day I will post the recipe, but it comes from Mollie Katzen's The Enchanted Broccoli Forest cookbook if you are interested. I had two bowls of it today, and it is absolutely scrumptious.  


I also had time to figure out what to do with twenty pounds of peaches.  You may think, as I am apt to, that twenty pounds should be eaten one by one, complete with sticky fingers and peach juice dripping off your chin.  That is, in fact, what I did with the first ten pounds.
All that is left of the 20 pounds of peaches
A few peaches and the leftovers of a bag of cherries, however, became a peach-cherry galette.  I wasn't thrilled with the crust, so I'll give you a crust that I think would be better, rather than the one I used.  I would suggest mini peach pies or regular peach pie instead. I won't be there, though, since I'm off to San Diego for the week.





For the dough:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick (8 tablespoons) cold butter, cut into pieces
1/4 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup ice water
For the filling:
~2 cups peaches, peeled and cut into slices
~1 cup sweet cherries, pitted and halved (you can probably use tart cherries, I just used what I had on hand)
2 teaspoons lemon juice
sugar

Make dough: Whisk together the lemon juice, ice water and sour cream. Set aside. In a bowl, mix together the flour and salt. Cut in the butter pieces with a pastry blender or your fingers until the butter pieces are the size of small peas.  Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture, mixing until you have large lumps.  Push it all into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.  I made two small discs rather than one large disc, and I would recommend doing the same, since peaches have lots of liquid and you will end up with a flimsy non-crust on the bottom if you try to put too much filling on the dough.

Make filling: When your hour or more has passed, peel and slice your peaches into a bowl.  Pit and halve the cherries into the bowl. Mix in the lemon juice.

Make the gallete: Roll out your discs into ~11-inch circles on a floured surface.  Transfer the dough to  parchment-covered baking sheets.  Divide the filling evenly between the two rounds, leaving a 2-inch rim.  Fold up the dough around the filling.  You can add an egg wash to the galette; just beat an egg then brush it over the dough. Sprinkle the whole thing with some sugar.

Bake for 35-40 minutes at 400ºF.

Wait at least ten minutes for the bubbling filling to cool, then cut yourself a slice (or the whole pie), top it with a few spoonfuls of icecream, and enjoy.





Comments

Popular Posts