Blackberry Peach Cobbler

I am visiting my college roommate next week, and I found one of our huge hit college kitchen recipes recently online.  We found it in the magazine, but it's a mark of the digital age that it's easier to just google the ingredients you want to use and find a billion recipes than it is to go through the cookbooks. The trick is finding the recipe that is easy and tastes good, and I can tell you from experience that lots of folks online struggle with the quality piece of that puzzle.  That's probably why it's often safer to turn back to the cookbook.
This recipe was an experiment born of my early-morning obsession with picking blackberries on South Campus in the fall of my senior year and my roommate's love of the Portland Farmer's Market.  We made it twice in as many weeks, and it was gone in the blink of an eye both times. From Fine Cooking magazine, we found Blackberry-Peach Skillet Cobbler with Buttermilk Biscuits. The only thing we omitted was cardamom, since neither of us like the taste, and regular sugar works just as well as the fancy raw stuff they suggest for the topping.  Honestly, sugar is sugar when you're only sprinkling it, and it's all about the fruit anyway.
The visit is going to be a blast. I am looking forward to being over 21 for the first time with my roommate and rocking out at the Pitbull concert in San Diego.  I fully intend to stock her apartment with as much fruit as I can afford, and probably eat it all raw. Despite this post being about fruit cobbler, nothing beats the delicious perfection of a fresh Palisade peach or juicy New Mexico raspberries.  I'm sure California will do its best in the fruit department, but honestly, you don't know a peach until you have a Palisade peach, and raspberries aren't nearly so good if you didn't spend all day picking them in New Mexico and head back home to Colorado with the smell of over twenty pounds of raspberries wafting from the trunk for the entire drive.  Colorado doesn't have any beaches, and being on the coast means spending every day at the beach, of course.  Hours in the air and on the beach means plenty of reading time too...
Sunshine, fruit, friends and books - summer in a nutshell.  The only thing this picture is missing is a little bit of chocolate...But don't worry, either this or this is in store for tomorrow. 


Comments

Popular Posts