Strawberry Shortcake

One of my favorite things about summer is the fruit.  In a close second comes the endless sunshine that Colorado offers.  After spending four years in the rain, I have never appreciated sunshine more and I will never go back to live under gray skies.  After a much-needed day of catching up on life, I promised my friend some strawberry shortcake and a night at the pool a few days ago.  So here I am chopping up four pounds of strawberries, adding some sugar, and preparing strawberry shortcake in anticipation of our dinner and pool date.  I know it's not usually a dinner food, but who can go wrong with strawberries for dinner??
I overmixed the batter a little bit.  It should be fluffier than this.
Remember that we are at altitude, so I always slightly change the amount of liquid and flour in a recipe.  I have never had problems with cooking Colorado recipes (except bread) elsewhere, but feel free to adjust as you see fit.















Adapted from the Joy of Cooking (1964) "Fluffy Biscuits or Shortcake Dough"
Although I never sift anything in Colorado, I've found that in places with humidity, sifting makes a difference.  So, if you are so inclined, sift:

4 cups high altitude all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup sugar
Cut in:
1/2 cup butter (If you have a strong mixer like ours, just throw the butter in cold in a few pieces and let the mixer do all the work)
Add:
1 1/2 cup milk or cream
Don't overmix or you will end up with tough dough.  Do it just enough for everything to come together, then stop.

Press into a greased and floured 9"x13" pan.

Preheat the oven to 450ºF and cook for about 20-25 minutes until the dough is golden and a knife stuck in the middle comes out clean.  Let the shortcake cool for a while.  Although shortcake is good warm, hot enough to cook the strawberries in the bowl is not such a good idea.

Serve in a bowl with cut strawberries and milk or whipped cream.  Enjoy the summer (or the memories of summer) that are forever associated with strawberry shortcake.

Comments

Popular Posts