Grandma's Blueberry Buckle

It's summer, I'm home, and today, blueberries were on sale.  We bought four pounds, on top of the two pounds we bought yesterday and the ten boxes of raspberries, half of which are gone already.  Raspberries are my favorite fruit in the world, but tonight is jazz in the garden, and we are charged with bringing a dish for the potluck.  Raspberries being my favorite fruit in the world, I am not willing to part with even one box, so blueberries it is.

I sat with my mom and looked around for recipes online, but in the end I decided to pull out the recipe book my mom created when she was in college.  It is full of clippings and typewritten indexes, and one single typewritten recipe - Blueberry Buckle.  My Grandpa owned a fruit farm, so you better believe that Grandma's fruit recipes are only the best.

Wolf Bros. Fruit Farm Blueberry Buckle
Mix together thoroughly...
       3/4 cup sugar
       1/4 cup softened butter
       1 egg
Stir in 1/2 cup milk
Sift together and stir in...
       2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
       2 teaspoons baking powder
       1/2 teaspoon salt
Carefully blend in at the end 2 cups well-drained blueberries
Sprinkle top with Crumb mixture:
       1/2 cup sugar
       1/3 cup sifted flour
       1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
       1/4 cup softened butter
Grease and flour a 9" square pan. Bake 45-50 minutes in 375º oven.

I doubled the recipe for either a 9"x13" or a 10"x14" pan. I wanted it thick, so it bulges just over the top of the 9"x13" pyrex pan, looks absolutely delicious, and makes the whole house smell like blueberries and cinnamon.


Comments

Popular Posts