A Typical Day Coming Home from San Salvador

After a day wandering around San Salvador, I can say that I am thrilled to be living in Guarjila.  It's not that I don't appreciate hot showers and fast internet, but life moves at a different pace here.  The pizza we ate was delicious - one margherita and one hawaiian - as was the capresse salad.  Santa Tecla was my favorite part of the day, with the myriad food tents and artisan jewelry and paintings in front of the colonial buildings.  It reminded me a little of Bellavista in Valparaíso Chile, but much fancier - more like Tejon Street, but with old buildings.  Also, ever since I explained what Ben is studying, everyone seems to feel the need to point out interesting buildings or explain about the acoustics of the national stadium, as if, purely by his being my brother, I understand acoustics.

John dropped Melia off at 4 am at the airport, then it was out to Starbucks for us for a few hours of work and some fantastic news for John that his friend Steve found a motor home and is raring to go on the Give Kids a Chance tour with him.  We lucked out with a homemade burrito lunch, then hit the road back to Guarjila.  The kids had a soccer tournament in the field next to the Tamarindo, so I took my free time wandering around town and watching them play before heading to the Tamarindo to watch hockey practice and decide whether to fend off or satisfy the kids insistent on playing tag and uno (I played uno, but watched hockey rather than play tag).  After my brief attendance at a vela for a community member who had died of old age, I grabbed my gear and headed to the Tamarindo to play cards, then sleep.

A pretty low key day, on the whole.           

Comments

Popular Posts